Don't bag recyclables. Here's why.
Recyclable items should be placed loosely in the Blue Cart, without a bag of any kind.
Bags hinder the recycling process by:
• Not allowing the haulers to see if other non-recyclable materials are in the Blue Cart.
• Contaminating otherwise good recycling materials.
• Wrapping around the equipment at the sorting facility. Plastic bags damage machines and cause shutdowns, wasting time and tax dollars.
Watch this video and you'll never try to recycle a plastic bag again.
Video courtesy of DNA Info Chicago
Where to Recycle Plastic Bags
All kinds of plastics and wrap that aren't recyclable at home are recyclable at local grocery and major retailers like Jewel-Osco, Target, Best Buy and Mariano's - look for the dropoff bins near the front doors.
Take all your clean plastic bags, ziplock bags, bubble wrap, dry cleaner bags and even the plastic wrap from toilet paper and paper towels.
Enter your zip code here to find more local stores that recycle plastic bags and wrap.
How can I store and dispose of my recyclables without a bag?
1. Continue to collect recyclables in a bag and then empty the recyclables from the bag into the Blue Cart. Bags can be reused or thrown into the black cart.
2. Recyclables can be collected in a reusable bin, box, or bag and then emptied loose into the Blue Cart.
As of January 2016, Blue Carts containing bagged recyclables will be collected as trash, not as recycling.